a variation, you can substitute the peppermint extract for almond extract, or other tasty flavors that may be favorites
of your own!
Recipe Type: Dessert
Preparation Time: Over 1 hour,
less than 1 day
- 6 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon clear peppermint extract
- 2 cups ground chocolate graham crackers (optional)
1. Heat oven to 200 F. Line two large baking sheets with
2. In a large bowl, combine egg whites and sugar. Place
bowl over pot of gently simmering water, and whisk constantly until sugar dissolves and egg mixture feels warm to the touch;
about 5 minutes.
3. Remove bowl from water bath, and with electric mixer
on high speed, beat in peppermint extract. Continue beating until very stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
4. Spoon mixture into large resealable plastic bag and
snip off corner.
5. Pipe bone shapes onto baking sheets, 4" to 8" long.
6. Bake until crisp throughout, about 65 minutes.
7. Cool completely. Store in airtight container for up
to 3 days.
8. Serve meringue partially buried under ground chocolate
graham crackers, if desired.